Background on Retaking Management
Three prior ICOTS enhancements to the Offender Violation Report (2013, 2017 & 2021 @ costs of $200k+) provide tools for ICOTS users to manage mandatory retaking. In addition, several administrative reports exist pulling important data elements from the Offender Violation Reports & Addendums. State compact staff can utilize these reports to ensure process are used appropriately, to ensure mandatory retaking occurs in accordance with the ICAOS rules and potentially provide statistics for their state on retakings.
What Retaking Management Issues Exist?
Ongoing inconsistent use of ICOTS and failure of state compact offices to correct behavior currently hinders the ability to provide accurate retaking data. From the end user side, the most prevalent issue is the failure to utilize addendums to communicate and provide updates on the status (PC, location, availability, etc.) while retaking is pending. Instead many users utilize the Compact Action Requests activity which are not always reviewed by compact office staff. It is also common in cases of absconders apprehended in the receiving state and subject to retaking under Rule 5-103-1 to remain closed. As explained in AO 1-2019, these cases are subject to the compact (unless discharged under Rule 4.112 (a)(1)) and should be reopened to either manage retaking (see Rule 4.112 (b)) or resume supervision in the receiving state.
Objectives for Retaking Management
Rule 2.101 requires all correspondence regarding violation reports to be transmitted directly through a state's compact office. Using Addendums rather than compact action request, ensures the state compact office's involvement and appropriate decisions/actions take place.
States should regularly self-audit and correct inappropriate use of ICOTS activities by ensuring users utilize Offender Violation Report Addendums to management retaking. Specifically:
- Ensure the Offender Awaiting Retaking Dashboard is accurate for both Incoming & Outgoing Cases
- This report displays offenders in which the compact cases is 'active,' a violation report requiring retaking is transmitted and the offender is marked 'available' for retaking.
- Remove cases by EITHER marking 'not available for retaking' or use the addendum available to compact office user to remove the retaking obligation from the case
- Correct statuses via 'Addendum to Violation Reports' (PC, location, availability) or 'Addendum to Violation Replies'
- [In anticipation new Warrant Status enhancement will be approved] The new 'Warrant Status' enhancement (implementation TBD) relies on accuracy of retaking data to ensure notifications are sent appropriately
- Audit Compact Action Requests
- Spot check Compact Action Requests to ensure hearing results and updates for retaking are not sent using this activity. Ensure users re-submit information in the correct manner
- Audit Violation History Records
- Cases showing the 'last violation response' = 'conduct hearing' can be a clue addendums are not being utilized
- Reopen ICOTS Cases when a previously reported 'absconder' is subject to retaking under Rule 5.103-1 and in accordance with AO 1-2019
What Resources Exist for Offender Management?
ICOTS Report Offenders Awaiting Retaking (30 days) DO NOT RELY ON DATA FROM THIS REPORT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE ACCURATE AT THIS TIME & ONLY DISPLAYS WHAT IS OVERDUE
Q2 Retaking Management Kick-off Dates
- Recording (coming soon!)
- PowerPoint (coming soon!)
Compact Staff Training & Release Notes on new Addendum Process for No longer Requiring Retaking
Shared State Policies & Procedures
Have Policies or Procedures to Share? Email email@example.com